Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Adventures in Yarn Dying

Did you know you can dye yarn with Kool-Aid? Well, you can dye animal fiber yarns, not acrylic, with it. You can also dye human hair, since it's technically an animal fiber. Learn something new everyday!

I got some undyed Purewool yarn (www.100purewool.com - they're also on etsy as 100purewool) and a pile of Kool-Aid packets.

Here's the yarn ready to go:



I loosely used the instructions from NobleKnits and went to town with the help of my middle. Here she is mixing the Kool-Aid in the cups.




The yarn, after we squirted it. I know they used a misting sprayer, we used a turkey baster haha!




All done! We also did one in various shades of pink - black cherry, cherry, strawberry, and strawberry lemonade.



I can't wait to learn how to knit it up!

1 comment:

CraftCrave said...

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [21 Apr 01:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria